Being told someone believes in you is a liberating feeling.
It brings a whole new meaning to confidence.
It inflates your ego to a level that is beyond big.
If it is from someone who doesn't usually tell you they believe in you, well, there can be a much bigger result due to their words.
Being told someone believes in you can make you doubt your own plans. Plans that were not simplistic, but were not exactly difficult.
Being told you are believed in makes you start to think about your own opportunities... your own directions.
Canada... the place I have been set on going for over a year... my dreams, my desires, have all been swept away from me in minutes, seconds even.
I used to dream of becoming a professional tenpin bowler. Now... I'm not one to brag, and I don't really have anything to brag about, but I was fairly decent for my age. I wasn't the best, in fact far from the best compared to those before me, but I was decent and I had the mind set that would lead to me becoming the best.
As time carried on, my interest began to fall, high school and socialising became more of a priority and before I knew it, my interest fell to just a regular bowler, one who didn't dream of being famous one day. Tonight, my dad, myself... standing in the kitchen... he tells me I can get a scholarship to the States. In an instant, all hopes, dreams and desires of going to Canada were put to the back of my mind. It took two seconds for him to tell me that and it only took those two seconds for me to want that, to bring back the memories of a young teenager who wanted to be famous for bowling.
My father... he isn't the kind of person who usually says that kind of thing... and he honestly believes in me.
As soon as the idea was in my mind, it took no longer then two seconds for my mind to start arguing against it. Reasons as to why I wouldn't get it, why I wouldn't even apply. "what about Canada?" "do you really think you can do that?" "how will you afford to do that?"
With doubt flooding my mind, my dreams shattered into a million pieces and my faith in all my plans falling into place started to fade.
In my mind it was like a war, a debate, with my self. On one side was the part of me that believed I could do anything, the other was the part that believed I should snap back to reality and that nothing in life ever goes to plan. For a while part two was winning, by a lot... but then... my dad, again, tells me he believes I can get one... told me he believed in me once again.
Maybe, I just need to have faith in myself, in my abilities and in the people around me.
My plans have quickly disintegrated, changed from one to another, dreams and goals made a little different. New planning involved... the possibility of deferring uni so i can concentrate on getting myself to a highly competitive level.
My dreams may have changed in seconds, but my beliefs and my faith is stronger then ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment